Skateboarding Steadies My ADHD Mind: Sports activities for Ladies
Skateboarding has been on my thoughts for many years. Although I began skateboarding once I was 9 years previous (and beloved it then), I ended after a few years as a result of none of my associates might skate. For a lot of, a few years, I didn’t know how you can get again into it, and I regretted all that misplaced time. I didn’t know I had ADHD till I used to be in my late 20s (I’m in my 40s now), however, on reflection, I see how my ADHD mind was caught on determining the place to start and how you can simply “do the factor.”
I discovered my manner again to skateboarding in 2020. In the midst of the pandemic, my husband determined he needed to be taught to skateboard. Then our daughter obtained into it. Then our son. So our household hit the skateparks.
That’s how I discovered Telma and Wealthy and the Later Skaters Gang, an grownup skate motion that began in Toronto (the place I dwell) and is now world. Oorbee Roy, who has grow to be a TikTok sensation as “Aunty Skates,” is one other Later Skater good friend of mine. At 47, she drops into big bowls and shreds her yard mini ramp, typically whereas sporting a sari.
At 43, I’m ecstatic to be skating once more. Not simply because it’s a enjoyable solution to train, however as a result of it’s extremely therapeutic.
9 Methods Skateboarding Steadies My ADHD Mind
1. Regular dopamine hits hold me motivated. Skating forces me to decide on one small purpose to attain and have a good time at a time. The dopamine rush I get once I land a trick retains me motivated and centered on the following step.
[Get This Free Download: 15 Health and Fitness Tips to Target ADHD Symptoms]
2. There are serotonin hits, too. Skating outside within the recent air and daylight provides me a lift of serotonin and uplifts my temper.
3. I relish the endorphin launch. The bodily act of using round on my skateboard releases feel-good hormones that scale back stress and even present ache reduction for my joints.
4. I work out my cerebellum. I’m not pulling off kickflips or carving large bowls but. However I’m bettering my steadiness and management over the board, which works out my cerebellum. A stronger cerebellum can lead to improved consideration, focus, and emotional management.
5. I’m creating friendships and strengthening connections. I attempt to be part of as many Later Skater meetups as I can. I get a launch of oxytocin as I bond with this optimistic group of skaters. They remind me that all of us battle adverse self-talk and psychological blocks. And so they cheer me on and provide suggestions to assist me progress. It’s manner simpler to remain motivated and constant once I’m having a blast on my board with associates.
[Read: How to Make Friends as an Adult — A Guide for Women with ADHD]
6. I get to expertise a wholesome adrenaline rush. Like many individuals with ADHD, I’m drawn to threat and pleasure. And skateboarding brings the best degree of thrill-seeking. I’ll fall as I hold skateboarding. However studying how you can fall safely provides me the braveness to maintain progressing to the following degree.
7. I might be artistic. Once I’m on my skateboard, I’m making artistic selections and carving my very own path. It’s exhilarating to juggle so many potentialities.
8. I can hyperfocus. We’ve gone so far as to have a mini ramp inbuilt our basement so we will skateboard at residence. I used to be nervous we wouldn’t use it sufficient, however we do, and we’ve invited just a few Later Skater associates over for classes. (Thanks, Pete, for serving to me with rock to fakies and tail stalls!)
9. I get caught — and unstuck. Skateboarding has helped me bodily, mentally, and socially. However even with all the nice, and after making so many new skate associates, I typically nonetheless really feel caught — in my head or up to now. I’ll be absolutely padded and skating across the park a bit, solely to cease and watch everybody else shred. When this occurs, I give myself a jolt. What’s the Later Skaters Gang about? “Irrespective of the age or talent degree, it’s all about little wins, a love of skateboarding and having enjoyable.”
It’s By no means Too Late — for Skateboarding or Something Else
Regardless of my hiatus from skateboarding, the game by no means actually ended up in my graveyard of deserted pursuits. It won’t be buried alongside bowling, stamp gathering, and Mid-century fashionable furnishings restoration.
I by no means imagined I’d be spending my 40s connecting with folks from everywhere in the world who share a love for skateboarding. However right here I’m. I even obtained to seem in an epic video by Later Skaters Gang referred to as These Are the Moments, that includes 120 skaters and their skate clips from 2022. There I’m for a few seconds, making an attempt a 50-50 on just a little ramp on the skatepark. Won’t appear like a lot, but it surely was a private win for me. And a reminder to take pleasure in all of the little moments, to simply hold pushing.
Imagine me, it’s by no means too late to skate — or to seek out what helps you thrive. As my Aunty Skates T-shirt jogs my memory: “It’s by no means too late to dwell your greatest life!”
Skateboarding, Wellbeing, and ADHD: Subsequent Steps
Myra is a spouse, mom, and instructor from Toronto who likes to write about #theBIGinSmallThings. When she’s not looking for her keys or pockets, Myra loves ingesting bubble tea and skateboarding along with her household.
Thanks for studying ADDitude. To help our mission of offering ADHD schooling and help, please consider subscribing. Your readership and help assist make our content material and outreach doable. Thanks.