Learn how to Transition From 2 Naps to 1: 3 Methods
Toddlers transition from 2 naps to 1 nap round 15-18 months previous, on common, after which will sleep 11-12 hours at evening plus 2-3 hours in the course of the day. This text will inform you tips on how to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap based mostly on my 15+ years as an toddler and toddler sleep marketing consultant.
When Do Toddlers Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap?
As I discussed above, most toddlers will transition from 2 naps to 1 nap round 15-18 months previous, on common. Nonetheless, in my a few years as a sleep marketing consultant, I discover many 13-14-month-olds are able to transition. There are a couple of vital particulars to concentrate to earlier than you do the transition.
How Do You Know It’s Time to Transition to 1 Nap?
Though we’ve an in depth article with the indicators to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap, right here’s a short abstract:
- It looks like you’re “operating out of daytime” for 2 naps. If nighttime sleep has dropped beneath 10 hours and you are feeling squeezed for time, it’s in all probability time to transition.
- Your toddler has a break up evening, which means they’re awake and alert for 1-3 hours in the course of the evening.
- In case your toddler is skipping considered one of their naps 4 or extra instances every week, it is likely to be time to transition to a 1-nap schedule.
- Lastly, in case your toddler’s bedtime rivals your personal or they’ll’t go to sleep till very late at evening, it is likely to be that their final wake window of the day has gotten too lengthy for a 2-nap schedule.
Learn how to Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap: 3 Strategies
There are a number of methods to transition naps and there isn’t a one-size-fits-all strategy that’s proper for each youngster. Even youngsters inside the identical family may do it in several methods. Listed here are 3 methods you are able to do this vital transition so you may get it proper on your youngster:
Methodology 1: Squeeze the First Nap
In case your toddler tolerates being woken up from a nap, you possibly can strive squeezing the primary nap out so the second nap turns into their noon and solely nap. To squeeze the primary nap out, you begin by regularly lowering the morning nap till it’s a catnap. Then encourage a 1-2-hour noon or afternoon nap. Right here’s an instance:
Instance of Shortening the Morning Nap
Day 1: Morning Nap = 50 minutes, Afternoon Nap = 1 hour 30-50 minutes, Complete = 2 hours 20-40 minutes
Day 2: Morning Nap = 45 minutes, Afternoon Nap = 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours, Complete = 2 hours 30-45 minutes
Day 3: Morning Nap = Half-hour, Afternoon Nap = 2+ hours, Complete = 2 Half-hour to three hours
Ultimately, you’ll cease providing the morning nap while you assume your toddler is prepared.
- Toddlers who tolerate being woken up from a nap
- Toddlers who nonetheless have a shorter (3 to three.5-hour morning wake window)
- Toddlers who’re skipping their afternoon nap however not prepared for a 1-nap schedule
- Your toddler should skip their afternoon nap even with a brief morning nap by which case you’d comply with Methodology 3 beneath.
- Your toddler is likely to be overtired after a brief morning nap after which take a brief afternoon nap. Give it a couple of days earlier than you reevaluate. They could merely want to regulate.
Methodology 2: Squeeze the Second Nap
With this methodology, your purpose is to regularly transfer the morning nap to later till it turns into the one-and-only nap. To implement this methodology, you begin shifting the primary wake window later within the morning by 15-Half-hour every single day or each different day. Then permit the nap to be so long as your toddler desires. Supply a second nap after a 4-hour wake window. If it’s getting too late within the day, shorten this nap till it’s a 30-45-minute catnap (if that’s a problem.) Right here’s an instance:
Instance of Transferring the Morning Nap Later
Day 1: Morning Wake Window = 3.5 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (Notice: Bedtime may briefly get late)
Day 2: Morning Wake Window = 3.75 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours
Day 3: Morning Wake Window = 4 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (contemplate shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours
Day 4: Morning Wake Window = 4.25 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (contemplate shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (if afternoon nap occurred)
Day 5: Morning Wake Window = 4.5 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (contemplate shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (if afternoon nap occurred)
Day 6: Morning Wake Window = 4.75 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4.5 hours (no second nap)
Ultimately, the primary nap will get late sufficient and lengthy sufficient that the afternoon nap gained’t be taken or will probably be too late within the day to supply it. In case your toddler is usually taking a day nap and never on different days, supply bedtime earlier on these days (~6:30 or 7:00 PM).
- Toddlers who do NOT tolerate being woken up from naps (cranky and fussy)
- Toddlers who skip the afternoon nap a number of days every week irrespective of how quick or lengthy the morning nap is
- Toddlers with lengthy morning wake home windows, already
- Toddlers who may take a brief morning nap because the wake window will increase
- Your toddler may drop the afternoon nap in a short time
- Your toddler may take a brief morning nap, nevertheless, the afternoon nap permits them to catch up earlier than bedtime that evening, one of many advantages of this methodology
- Your toddler may take two quick naps, as a substitute, however that is momentary and a part of the transition in some circumstances.
Methodology 3: Abrupt Change of the Schedule
The ultimate methodology is just to maneuver your toddler to a 1-nap schedule abruptly. Normally, if we do that it’s as a result of the morning wake window is already 4 hours (or longer) and the toddler is already skipping their afternoon nap most days. OR the toddler awake for an extended time frame in the course of the evening (insomnia). With this methodology, you merely cease providing the second nap, transfer the primary wake window to 4 1/2 to five hours, and encourage at the least a 2+ hour nap.
How Lengthy Does it Take to Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap?
Typically talking, it takes roughly 2-3 weeks to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap. As well as, your toddler may want two naps a few times every week whereas they transition. It will curb a number of the overtiredness.
Some days could also be higher than others however it’s frequent, and anticipated, for overtiredness to happen. We are able to’t all the time keep away from that however after a couple of weeks, your toddler ought to modify. That’s, they may modify offered they’ve the correct 1-nap schedule for a toddler. Make certain you modify it to suit your youngster!
I hope this text has helped you along with your toddler’s schedule! In case you want any assist, you already know the place to show.